Monday, November 22, 2004
More Details On Google Scholar
Resource Shelf's Shirl Kennedy and Gary Price have a look inside Google Scholar. Among the intersting tidbits:
- The index isn't entirely human-edited. It works off a crawler that reads web content and makes a guess as to what is scholarly content. Since the term "scholarly" is so vague that even librarians can't be sure what it exactly means, Google has put a lot of work into designing a crawler to figure it out.
- Google Scholar results will show up in Google searches.
- Google Scholar will not contain ads, at least for now (much like any Google beta project).
- Google Scholar may be allowed by some publishers to index an entire file, even if users will have to subscribe for premium content (much like Google News).
- Google won't say yet how big the database is.
(via The Unofficial Google Weblog)